This is a week devoted to travel. Sunday upriver for some shopping, Monday to Machias for the dental clinic, ditto Tuesday, today an echocardiogram & follow up with the heart surgeon in Saint John, back there tomorrow for a friend’s foot surgery, then a return to Machias on Friday.
I got up at 4 this morning (because of course they schedule my appointments first thing and I’m 3 hours away from them) to prepare and watched the snow fall as I drank my coffee. We got another 6 inches last night on top of the 6 inches from Monday.
I checked the road conditions and the highway in Maine was listed as “difficult”. The highway in New Brunswick is “covered”. It was going to take a lot more than 3 hours to get there.
So, although I hated the necessity, I called all the numbers I could find and left apologetic messages. We’re not going to Saint John today. This decision was validated when Lobster boats started returning to the Harbour because the weather was too awful. Trust me, they’re nuts. If they don’t want to be on the water then I’m just going to stay here.
Even when the roads are clear they’re often a mess at this time of year. For those of you who don’t remain over the winter let me suggest you avoid the “shortcut” when you return.
The first half is its usual less than ideal self. The second half heading north is an obstacle course of crumbling pavement and car eating potholes. I’ve never been convinced that it is actually a “shortcut” and right now it’s just an exercise in dodging the worst bits while hoping nobody comes toward you in the oncoming lane as you wander over the center line in self defense.
I’m glad my friends around the world are watching their gardens show signs of new life. I’d just like a road that wasn’t trying to kill me. 🙂